[GRASS5] [bug #3362] (grass) r.proj works ONLY when source and target mapset names are identical

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 18:54:07 EDT 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Morten Hulden wrote:

> Glynn Clements wrote:
>

>> This is a very good reason not to use G_tempfile() for normal
>> temporary files.
>>
>> There is no guarantee that the user can create files or directories
>> within the source location.
>>

> So, not a r.proj specific problem then. A lot of modules may suffer from
> using G_tempfile().
>
> r.proj is not calling G_tempfile() directly. In the case mentioned above
> suspects are datum.c, get_datum_name.c, get_ell_name.c or some other function
> from /lib/gis files.

Even so, it should be creating a temp file in the current mapset, not in
the location that is being projected from. Perhaps the location switching
code in r.proj might not be handling the mapset correctly.
Although I tried to reproduce the problem and couldn't.

> What is the correct fix? To rewrite G_tempfile()?

See
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-January/016997.html

I suspect Brad's recent changes to make G_asprintf() use G_tempfile()
should be reverted?

Paul