[GRASS5] [bug #3038] (grass) IRIS RGB

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 20:38:04 EST 2005

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3038
>
> Subject: IRIS RGB
>
> Dumping NVIZ monitor to IRIS RGB crashes X badly.

a) X shouldn't crash. OpenGL+video card driver problem?
b) works for me. (6.0beta2 self compiled on debian/testing)

> Unclear whether this is an useful command; perhaps better remove it
> altogether?

While lightly used, I think it is useful. Especially for folks with SGI
machines and in general for animation frames. IIRC it isn't very much
extra code, esp. with the PPM output still there. (PNG would be nice,
but that requires a lot more code IIRC again)

Many (some?) video encoders use the SGI RGB format for individual
frames. Exporting & repeating a single frame may be useful for titles,
etc.

this is all from distant memory though.

bonus tip: use 'sgitopnm' from NetPBM tools to convert from RGB format.

Hamish