[GRASS5] [bug #3076] (grass) CELL dirver fails

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Mar 13 18:54:54 EST 2005

Hamish wrote:

> > The CELL driver has been non-functional since the switch to 5.7 (now
> > 6). I don't know why it still shows up as existing when you list
> > available monitors, but this should probably be disabled--unless there
> > are plans to revive the CELL driver.
>
> Markus:
> > The CELL driver was not ported (yet?) to GRASS 6.
> > Please use the PNG driver which is even more powerful.
>
> Is there any point/advantage to having a CELL driver anymore?
> What could it be used for that can't be done via another path?

Given that both the CELL and PNG drivers behave in a near-identical
manner, i.e. store values in a 2D "array" then convert the array to an
external representation upon either termination or R_close_driver(),
there should probably be some re-factoring in that area.

IOW, either:

a) merge the CELL and PNG drivers so that the CELL functionality is
essentially just another output "target" (e.g. if GRASS_PNGFILE
doesn't end in ".png" or ".ppm", it's treated as a map name), or

b) move the bulk of the PNG driver into a library; either the existing
driverlib or a new library specifically for drivers which behave like
the CELL and PNG drivers.