[GRASS5] v.in.ascii updates

Daniel Calvelo Aros dcalvelo at minag.gob.pe
Wed Mar 16 01:02:48 EST 2005

From: Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>
Sent: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:49:02 +1300

> Debatable updates:
>
>  ? skip any line starting with a '#' in input file.
>    (could silently ignore data..??)

Add a flag to turn it off, in case weird #-marked data arises. How hard would
it be to be able to specify the comment marker as an argument? Better, as a
regular expression?

>  ? skip blank lines in input file.
>    (currently extra newlines at EOF break import of points)

Maybe add a flag to signal whether:

1) An empty line marks EOF (that might be useful to chop data by hand), except
at the beginning
2) Empty lines are ignored
3) Empty lines are an error (except prior to EOF)

>  ? strip "quotes" from both ends of varchar input.

Shouldn't break anything; quoting-dequoting-overquoting is always tricky, so
users should be wary of "". Do the same for '', maybe?

>  ? rename format=standard to format=grass as format=point is default,
>    so standard mode is non-standard. Confusing! I'll fix any scripts/.

Agree.