[GRASS5] v.in.ascii updates

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 22:49:02 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm looking to do some v.in.ascii updates, I thought I'd trawl for
comments first.. most deal with format=point mode.

Fairly straight forward updates:

 + update to use G_getl2() to make MacOS9 ascii import work.

 + add skip= option to skip any header lines when format=point
   (e.g. column headings in cvs file)

 + add a -s flag to write those skipped header lines to the map's
   meta-data hist file (v.info -h).

Debatable updates:

 ? skip any line starting with a '#' in input file.
   (could silently ignore data..??)

 ? skip blank lines in input file.
   (currently extra newlines at EOF break import of points)

 ? strip "quotes" from both ends of varchar input.

 ? rename format=standard to format=grass as format=point is default,
   so standard mode is non-standard. Confusing! I'll fix any scripts/.

You can expect me to go ahead and do all these things if noone objects.

Hamish