[GRASS5] v.in.ascii updates

Miguel A. Altamirano del C mgaac at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 11:29:19 EST 2005

--- Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm looking to do some v.in.ascii updates, I thought
> I'd trawl for
> comments first.. most deal with format=point mode.
>

> Fairly straight forward updates:
>
>  + update to use G_getl2() to make MacOS9 ascii
> import work.
>
>  + add skip= option to skip any header lines when
> format=point
>    (e.g. column headings in cvs file)
>
>  + add a -s flag to write those skipped header lines
> to the map's
>    meta-data hist file (v.info -h).
>

> Debatable updates:
>
>  ? skip any line starting with a '#' in input file.
>    (could silently ignore data..??)
>
>  ? skip blank lines in input file.
>    (currently extra newlines at EOF break import of
> points)
>
>  ? strip "quotes" from both ends of varchar input.
>
>  ? rename format=standard to format=grass as
> format=point is default,
>    so standard mode is non-standard. Confusing! I'll
> fix any scripts/.
>

> You can expect me to go ahead and do all these
> things if noone objects.
>

> Hamish

Also if can puts an indicative for the format to
import the values "columns='variable double f8.2' "
for when it be used with other instruction put excatly
the format that was reading; p.e. "d.vect -c file
display=attr attrcol=variable"

LCA Miguel A. Altamirano del C.
"Los Mexicanos llevamos la fiesta en la garganta"

Tel. 01(232)32 45208

La belleza de la meteorología radica en saber
pronosticarla y no simplemente en estudiarla
      (Miguel A. Altamirano 28-5-00)