[GRASS5] tcl/tk chinese fonts issue

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Mar 18 16:03:55 EST 2005

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > About the font, I think one picture is more clear than thousands words :)
>
> [example attached]
>
> Actually I don't know how to change the font for the tcl/tk
> windows.

You can change it through X resources.

However Tcl's handling of X resources is rather broken; in particular,
program-specific settings don't work if the program name contains any
dots (as is the case for d.m.tcl).

You can override the name using the -name switch e.g.:

   exec "$GRASS_WISH" "$GISBASE/etc/dm/d.m.tcl" -name d_m_tcl

[I suggest making the above change to the d.m script, in both places.]

You can then set a font resource in ~/.Xdefaults with e.g.:

	d_m_tcl*font:	-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

Also, it chooses the last matching key (not the most specific match),
so you have to place the above setting after any generic font
setting.