[GRASS5] [bug #3029] (grass) NTv2 grid file out-of-bounds errors

Harmish Bowman via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Tue Mar 22 22:02:51 EST 2005

maybe a solution in this email from Frank on the GDAL mailing list, perhaps
the side effects (bad data, even with a warning) outweigh the benefits.

Hamish

From: Frank Warmerdam <fwarmerdam at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Gdal-dev] WGS84 to NAD27 failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:49:16 -0500
To: "Sheykhet, Rostic" <rsheykhet at sanz.com>
Cc: gdal-dev at xserve.flids.com
Sender: gdal-dev-bounces at xserve.flids.com

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:40:43 -0700, Sheykhet, Rostic <rsheykhet at sanz.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to convert a WGS84 query envelope to NAD27.  It works fine for
> smaller areas, but on an envelope larger than continental US, I get a
> "failed to load NAD27-83 correction file" error.  What am I doing wrong?

Rostic,

The problem is that there is no datum shift file for most parts of the
world, so some of the points cannot be datum shifted when you go
outside valid areas.

If you don't mind hacking the code a bit, you could modify
proj/src/pj_datums.c so that the definition of nad27 is

"nadgrids=@conus, at alaska, at ntv2_0.gsb, at ntv1_can.dat, at null"

This basically means if none of the grids are match the point
to shift, apply the "null" grid which does nothing.

> Perhaps on a related note, is there a way to get an envelope/bounding box of
> a coordinate reference system?

No, I'm afraid not.

Best regards,