[GRASS5] moving map application

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 19:50:54 EDT 2005

> I am wondering if anyone has done any work with GRASS to make a moving
> map application using GPS as a input device similar to Oxi explorer?
>
> If not could GRASS be extended relatively easily to produce this kind
> of application?

Yes, I have done this but for GRASS 5.3. Slight tweaks required to
compile with the new build system in 5.4 and won't work at all with
GRASS 6 without a rewrite. It was written for an old version of GPSd
(included) which at the time required a serial NMEA stream from the GPS.
Newer versions of GPSd will do hotplug USB, take advantage of extra info
from non-NMEA proprietary data streams, etc. but again some rewriting of
my code would be needed I think. I don't really have any plans or time
to work on this currently but you are welcome to what's there.

see:
 http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2004-February/024763.html
 http://gpsd.berlios.de/

see also: