[Fwd: RE: [GRASS5] GRASS 6 automatic start - minor glitches in Cygwin GRASS installation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri May 20 17:23:11 EDT 2005

I just helped someone install GRASS on Cygwin/Windows XP this morning.
First, I want to say that the installer is VERY nice. Huidae Cho has done a
great job of making the installation of GRASS on Windows as painless as
possible.

We ran into a few glitches that might inform on Ricardo's experience.

First, we installed GRASS 6.1 CVS. The installer offers a choice of 6.0 or
6.1. This is really great. When we went to start it up using the batch file,
it would flash open a Cygwin terminal window and then close down. On a
hunch, I looked at the batch file. It is set for GRASS 6.0. You need to
replace grass60 with grass61 (2 places, one critical) for GRASS 6.1 cvs to
start.

Second, GRASS couldn't find wish--even though wish is in a relatively
standard location (/usr/local/bin) and in the bash path. I set the
GRASS_WISH variable to wish. I tried setting it in a couple places without
success, and it finally worked when I set it in .bash_profile, .bashrc, and
.grassrc6. I probably just need to set it once, but didn't have time to
selectively go through each one. Maybe someone can tell me.

Third, even after GRASS_WISH is set, I can't get GRASS to start in graphic
mode. I've set GRASS_GUI: gui and GRASS_GUI: tcltk in .grassrc6 repeatedly,
but it keeps getting reset to GRASS_GUI: text.

The GIS Manager works fine, but something is resetting GRASS to text mode
every time I start it. I assume it is somewhere in init.sh but haven't had a
chance to look at it yet. I don't think it is in the starting batch file
because I've searched for the word "text" and it is not there.

I'm going to try to install GRASS Cygwin on another computer to see if these
glitches are somehow machine specific. But I thought it would be helpful to
document them.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402