[GRASS5] db.oodbfedit: a _very_ simplistic approach to dbf attribute editing

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue May 24 16:49:14 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 10:02, Radim Blazek said:
> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Playing around with the question of how to allow spreadsheet-style attribute
>> editing from the GIS Manager - mostly to satisfy demand from colleagues, I
>> came up with this _very_ simplistic solution using openoffice.
>>
>> This is more of a proof of concept than anything else. The question for me
>> is
>> whether we should try to write a specific tcl routine to access the
>> different
>> types of databases available, or whether we should just use existing tools
>> such as openoffice (but which probably won't be installed for many users).
>>
>> So here's the little bit of code. Any comments and reflections welcome.
>>
>> Moritz
>
> To open a database table in spreadsheet is VERY BAD idea, you can be
> almost sure that data will be corrupted somehow.

Could you explain this. I have used this procedure quite often without any
problems.

> Isn't it possible to open the table as "data source"?

Yes, but I don't know how to do this automatically. This requires the user to
set up the data source in oocalc and if they already know how do this, the
whole module is useless.

BTW, trying to use the data source procedure I just corrupted a table through
a simple "update" statement. :-( Probable just a bad manoeuvre on my side...

Moritz