[GRASS5] db.oodbfedit: a _very_ simplistic approach to dbf attribute editing

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue May 24 12:27:54 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 10:02:09AM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:
> To open a database table in spreadsheet is VERY BAD idea, you can be
> almost sure that data will be corrupted somehow.

Right:
for example, long tables are destroyed in OOffice (there is a
limit of 32767/65535 rows while a DBF file/SQL DB can be much longer.

I am always "amused" when I receive Excel files with a length
of 65535 rows... :-( In this case there is 99% probability that
the file is already corrupted. GIS tables are often way longer.

There must be at least heavy error checking.

Markus