[GRASS5] v.db.updatecol & v.db.addcol - draft version 2

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu May 26 05:40:40 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 11:26, Lorenzo Moretti said:
> Hi Moritz
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Here is the second draft version of my two little modules. I have implemented
>>the following changes:
>>
>>- harmonized option names with general GRASS habits
>>- harmonized names of the two modules (*col for both instead of
>>*column for one)
>>- now v.db.addcol accepts multiple columns
>>- added some little error checking
>>
>>Any feedback welcome. If there are no serious problems, I will write the
>>description.html and check them into CVS pretty soon.
>>
>>Moritz
>>Attachment converted: APPLI:v.db.addcol (    /    ) (004A5BE5)
>>Attachment converted: APPLI:v.db.updatecol 1 (    /    ) (004A5BE6)
>
> VERY GOOD !
>
> I think that it's more easy for all user to add 1 only column any
> time with a choice list of type, not a box.

Yes, I thought this as well in the beginning, but as Radim confirmed, each
database backend supports different types of data, so it would be either very
limiting (just show some basic data types supported by all backends) or very
complicated (make a list of data types with a note on which backend supports
them or not...).

What do others think ?

Which data types are common to all backends ?

> It's not need for me to add many columns in one commands (or you can
> repeat "name of new column" box and "type of the new column" list
> more times - 2 or 3)

I guess its about finding the compromise between "newbie-friendly" and flexible.

Feedback very welcome.

Moritz