[GRASS5] importing .e00 files

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Thu Nov 3 09:19:26 EST 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Hamish wrote:

>> Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong with the
>> following command:
>>
>> GRASS 6.1.cvs (arrowhead_utm):~ > v.in.e00 -v file=/Volumes/disk2/
>> data2/reich_lab/data/fia/glo10k.e00 type=area vect=glo10k
>> An error may appear next which will be ignored...
>> E00 Compressed ASCII found. Will uncompress first...
>> /usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs/scripts/v.in.e00: line 175: e00conv: command
>> not found
>> ...converted to Arc Coverage in current directory
>> Importing areas...
>> ERROR: Cannot open data source: glo10k
>> An error occurred. Stop.
>> GRASS 6.1.cvs (arrowhead_utm):~ >
>>
>> This files appears to open fine with ArcView, so I don't think the
>> file is bad. However, I am confused by the "can't open data source"
>> message.
>>

> This is the relevant error:
>
>> /usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs/scripts/v.in.e00: line 175: e00conv: command
>> not found
>>

> You need e00conv (and avcimport) installed as e00 is not supported by
> GDAL (yet). Get them from  http://avce00.maptools.org/
>

> There should have been a test to make sure you have them installed but
> it seems to have failed. This is on Cygwin, right?
>
> I've just updated the test:
>
> was:
> E00CONV=`which e00conv`
> if [ "$E00CONV" = "" ] ; then
>
> is now:
> if [ ! -x "`which e00conv`" ] ; then
>

> I think the string compare fails on Cygwin and generally you need
> to do
> instead:
> if [ -z "$E00CONV" ] ; then
>

> The "! -x" I did above is just a simplification of the two lines.
> (this is not an executable file of that name/path)
>
> Could you test the CVS version of v.in.e00 and see if you get the
> error
> now? (or just some command line tests?) If so we can get that fix
> in for
> 6.0.2 so others don't suffer the same problem.

That fixed the error message Hamish. I did a cvs up this morning and
re-ran the import (before installing avce00).

GRASS 6.1.cvs (arrowhead_utm):~ > v.in.e00 -v file=~/Desktop/
glo10k.e00 type=area vect=glo10k
v.in.e00: 'avcimport' program not found, install it first
        http://avce00.maptools.org
GRASS 6.1.cvs (arrowhead_utm):~ >

I built both avce00 and e00compr last night. The binaries are :

e00conv
avcdelete
avcexport
avcimport
avctest
ex_avcwrite

Do all of these go in my PATH (i.e /usr/local/bin)?