[GRASS5] importing .e00 files

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 19:55:04 EST 2005

> Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong with the
> following command:
>
> GRASS 6.1.cvs (arrowhead_utm):~ > v.in.e00 -v file=/Volumes/disk2/
> data2/reich_lab/data/fia/glo10k.e00 type=area vect=glo10k
> An error may appear next which will be ignored...
> E00 Compressed ASCII found. Will uncompress first...
> /usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs/scripts/v.in.e00: line 175: e00conv: command
> not found
> ...converted to Arc Coverage in current directory
> Importing areas...
> ERROR: Cannot open data source: glo10k
> An error occurred. Stop.
> GRASS 6.1.cvs (arrowhead_utm):~ >
>
> This files appears to open fine with ArcView, so I don't think the
> file is bad. However, I am confused by the "can't open data source"
> message.

This is the relevant error:
> /usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs/scripts/v.in.e00: line 175: e00conv: command
> not found

You need e00conv (and avcimport) installed as e00 is not supported by
GDAL (yet). Get them from  http://avce00.maptools.org/

There should have been a test to make sure you have them installed but
it seems to have failed. This is on Cygwin, right?

I've just updated the test:

was:
E00CONV=`which e00conv`
if [ "$E00CONV" = "" ] ; then

is now:
if [ ! -x "`which e00conv`" ] ; then

I think the string compare fails on Cygwin and generally you need to do
instead:
if [ -z "$E00CONV" ] ; then

The "! -x" I did above is just a simplification of the two lines.
(this is not an executable file of that name/path)

Could you test the CVS version of v.in.e00 and see if you get the error
now? (or just some command line tests?) If so we can get that fix in for
6.0.2 so others don't suffer the same problem.

We don't currently but probably should check the exit code of those
commands (with "$?") to make sure it all went ok.

The following scripts also do the [ "$x" = "" ] test, if I am right about
it not working on cygwin then they all need updating to [ -z "$x" ].

$ grep -rI '""' scripts/* | cut -f1 -d/ | sort | uniq

d.correlate
d.monsize
d.out.file
d.out.png