[GRASS5] [bug #3803] (grass) Can't start any monitor not even GUI

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Sat Nov 5 13:26:55 EST 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3803

Subject: Can't start any monitor not even GUI

Hello!
I downloaded GRASS 6.0.0, the recommended version, on my PC. It seems a
problem of Cygwin, because GRASS works successfully until I write commands
like d.mon ( it answers " no socket to connect to for monitor x0" ) or d.m &
( shows a short list of steps telling Application initialization failed: no
display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable . Error in startup script:
dynamic loading is not currently available on this system, then programming
explanation.
I wish you can help me, because I prefer GRASS to other (expensive!) GIS..
is there, if Cygwin cold not be set right, another solution?
Thanks
Anne Ghisla