[GRASS5] Re: sqlite browser

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Mon Nov 14 02:45:33 EST 2005

Hamish wrote:

>>2. We might want to have an "sql" directory in each mapset, like we do
>>for dbf.
>
> Make that a "sqlite" dir, as "sql" is too generic to be meaningful.

Why a directory, why not just call the database file sqlite.db in the
location directory. or then give the db the same name as the location,
and add the .db extension (; That is the way I have set it up.

>>This would be the location for a default sqlite database for
>>each mapset, containing tables for each vector file. The default
>>database could simple carry the name of the mapset. This does not
>>preclude the creation and use of other sqlite database in other
>>locations, of course. 3. GRASS would need to be able to create an
>>empty sqlite database automatically for each mapset, so that tables
>>could be added as needed.
>

> Maybe I don't understand sqlite (never used it); why doesn't each map
> have its own DB file in the first place? Why does there have to be a
> single all-of-mapset one? I can't imagine the overhead per DB is that
> huge.

It doesn't work like that. In postgress you also have one DB per
location, right? Same in SQLite. One file per database, not per table.
Oterwise I don't think that you can do any meaningfull selects etc
involving many tables.

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>