[GRASS5] Re: sqlite browser

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Nov 14 10:28:05 EST 2005

One database per location may be the way server-based DBMS attribute
storage works, but if the attribute DB files are in the same place as
the rest of the GRASS files, I'd rather have one per map.

- Easy to backup a single map, easy to restore a map if you mess it up.

- I'd feel safer also - while sqlite may be rock-solid (I don't know)
and provide for recovery, if a one-per-location sqlite DB file gets
corrupt, you could lose the whole location.

- Size is another consideration.  While modern systems can support
HUGE files, that can get cumbersome.

On Nov 14, 2005, at 1:45 AM, Wolf Bergenheim wrote:

> Hamish wrote:
>>> 2. We might want to have an "sql" directory in each mapset, like
>>> we do
>>> for dbf.
>> Make that a "sqlite" dir, as "sql" is too generic to be meaningful.
>
> Why a directory, why not just call the database file sqlite.db in
> the location directory. or then give the db the same name as the
> location, and add the .db extension (; That is the way I have set
> it up.
>
>>> This would be the location for a default sqlite database for
>>> each mapset, containing tables for each vector file. The default
>>> database could simple carry the name of the mapset. This does not
>>> preclude the creation and use of other sqlite database in other
>>> locations, of course. 3. GRASS would need to be able to create an
>>> empty sqlite database automatically for each mapset, so that tables
>>> could be added as needed.
>> Maybe I don't understand sqlite (never used it); why doesn't each map
>> have its own DB file in the first place? Why does there have to be a
>> single all-of-mapset one? I can't imagine the overhead per DB is that
>> huge.
>
> It doesn't work like that. In postgress you also have one DB per
> location, right? Same in SQLite. One file per database, not per
> table. Oterwise I don't think that you can do any meaningfull
> selects etc involving many tables.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy