[GRASS5] GRASS GUI

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Nov 14 08:47:48 EST 2005

Christian Wygoda wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Looks like the talk on the right GUI for GRASS is getting a little
> warmer... While QGIS is a very good GIS application supporting GRASS I
> think that what Michael, Martin and myself are exchanging thoughts about
> now is where GRASS's *own* display abilities are headed.

Just to add my 2 cents: The survey done last year[1], showed a clear
majority of users in support of a native GRASS GUI.

One argument (even though this is less important for those GRASS users
who have access to modern machines, i.e. most of the developers) is
size: in Debian the grass + libgrass packages have an installed size of
14564 + 2100 KB, whereas QGIS needs 21588...

So, in my eyes any new GRASS GUI should remain lightweight...

Another criteria for me would be ease of modification. I really like the
fact that currently anyone can follow simple instructions on how to
modify one text file to see a new command added to their GUI. People
might not want to have to recompile everytime they wish to add a new
command.
Something in the line of what Radim has done for the QGIS-GRASS bridge
might be another solution.

Moritz

[1] See GRASS newsletter 2, http://grass.itc.it/newsletter/index.php