[GRASS5] GRASS GUI

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Nov 14 09:11:34 EST 2005

At 14:47, lunedì 14 novembre 2005, Moritz Lennert has probably written:
> Just to add my 2 cents: The survey done last year[1], showed a clear
> majority of users in support of a native GRASS GUI.

but:
1. last year the potential of qgis+grass was far from being clear to the vast
majority of users
2. the report identifies the look&feel of tcltk as"repelling" for new users
(the most important category for our community, in my view)
3. the report identifies the cluttering of windows as a problem
4. zooming and panning are far more intuitive in qgis that in tcltkgrass

> One argument (even though this is less important for those GRASS users
> who have access to modern machines, i.e. most of the developers) is
> size: in Debian the grass + libgrass packages have an installed size of
> 14564 + 2100 KB, whereas QGIS needs 21588...
>
> So, in my eyes any new GRASS GUI should remain lightweight...

I do not agree with this. Nowadays even entry level PCs have a power that make
this cosiderations irrelevant in the majority of applications.

> Another criteria for me would be ease of modification. I really like the
> fact that currently anyone can follow simple instructions on how to
> modify one text file to see a new command added to their GUI. People
> might not want to have to recompile everytime they wish to add a new
> command.
> Something in the line of what Radim has done for the QGIS-GRASS bridge
> might be another solution.
to include new modules in the menus is really easy (it requires the
compilation, though)
pc

--
Paolo Cavallini