[GRASS5] GRASS GUI

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Nov 14 09:33:55 EST 2005

Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> At 14:47, lunedì 14 novembre 2005, Moritz Lennert has probably written:
>
>>Just to add my 2 cents: The survey done last year[1], showed a clear
>>majority of users in support of a native GRASS GUI.
>

> but:
> 1. last year the potential of qgis+grass was far from being clear to the vast
> majority of users
> 2. the report identifies the look&feel of tcltk as"repelling" for new users
> (the most important category for our community, in my view)
> 3. the report identifies the cluttering of windows as a problem
> 4. zooming and panning are far more intuitive in qgis that in tcltkgrass

Except for point 1, I don't understand what the rest has to do with the
question of whether grass should have a native GUI...

>>One argument (even though this is less important for those GRASS users
>>who have access to modern machines, i.e. most of the developers) is
>>size: in Debian the grass + libgrass packages have an installed size of
>>14564 + 2100 KB, whereas QGIS needs 21588...
>>
>>So, in my eyes any new GRASS GUI should remain lightweight...
>

> I do not agree with this. Nowadays even entry level PCs have a power that make
> this cosiderations irrelevant in the majority of applications.

But it's not only about the machines, but also about network connections...
And for many people around the globe, entry-level PCs are not what we
think of them in rich countries.

>>Another criteria for me would be ease of modification. I really like the
>>fact that currently anyone can follow simple instructions on how to
>>modify one text file to see a new command added to their GUI. People
>>might not want to have to recompile everytime they wish to add a new
>>command.
>>Something in the line of what Radim has done for the QGIS-GRASS bridge
>>might be another solution.
>
> to include new modules in the menus is really easy (it requires the
> compilation, though)

If you are speaking of QGIS, I thought you just needed to edit an xml
file without any need for recompilation ?

Moritz