[GRASS5] Re: GRASS GUI and Qt

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Mon Nov 14 09:59:48 EST 2005

Hello Māris,

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:36:25 +0200 Māris Nartišs <maris.gis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> IMHO keeping GRASS as GUI-less engine and having QGIS as GRASS GUI is
> not a bad idea, but what will say qgis developers/users on this - they
> app will become a frontend to grass. If we head this way, qgis
> developers alsou shuld be invited to this discussion.
>
> And if we talk about fragmentation of OS. I cannot understand why we
> have a lots of OS GIS related apps that can do some things and in some
> areas fail but we havent one killer app. Having 3 or more flavors of
> GRASS GUI is same => at the end ESRI wins.

Following the thread a while now I would like to through in some
euro-cents of mine as well...

I really like the QGIS-GRASS-integration and in my eyes this should be
the focus of the GRASS-gui. It is _so_ easy adding new commands to the
GRASS toolbox and I really like to thank Radim for his work on this
topic!

So, please, let us focus the main work on pushing QGIS as a GRASS-UI
and not reinventing yet another GUI.

The more userinput for improving the current QGIS-GRASS-integration
the better it will become.

just my 0.02¢.

	Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508