[GRASS5] Re: GRASS GUI and Qt

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Nov 15 03:12:10 EST 2005

At 07:59, martedì 15 novembre 2005, Michael Barton has probably written:
> The second item is something of a commentary of why QGIS cannot become THE
> GRASS UI, but is ultimately related to the initial set of questions. Please
> read on to the not so bitter end. This has nothing to do with the quality
> of QGIS but is more of an issue of pragmatics. QGIS could become the
> _basis_ for a GRASS interface, but could not become THE GRASS interface
> without changing so that it is no longer QGIS.

I do not agree with this. Of course the design of the interface has to be
taken carefully, not to clutter it and confuse the user, but I do not see a
reason why qgis could not become THE grass interface.
Apart from strict functionality, it is the look&feel of qt that is much more
sleek and modern than tcltk, and that gives a much more pleasant user
experience.
pc
--
Paolo Cavallini