[GRASS5] Re: GRASS GUI and Qt

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 04:31:40 EST 2005

On 11/15/05, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:
> QGIS could become the _basis_
> for a GRASS interface, but could not become THE GRASS interface without
> changing so that it is no longer QGIS.

You can consider QGIS the new monitor but everything other is done
in separated plugin where you can do whatever you want.
You forget also about interoperability, may users want to use
Postgis and WMS. New users can start with simple maps from
shapefiles and then (in the same enviroment) start to use GRASS.

If you create a sort of fork from QGIS, it will die
because of lack of developers. We could get so far with QGIS/GRASS
because I dont have to develop the whole QGIS but only the GRASS
part. In any case if you create a fork I will continue to work on QGIS.

> We cannot put all those commands into Radim's very attractive GRASS
> tool-box.

Why not? In fact I used the toolbox instead of menus because I believe
that to have 400 items in menus is wrong approach.
We can add for example search engine which cannot be done for menus.

> And QGIS would still have to be run within the GRASS
> environment in order to maintain the command line access that many feel is
> essential. Would the command-line modules run in the QT window or generate
> their own independent x-windows?

I am not sure what you mean, the shel was already integrated and
you don't have to run QGIS from GRASS.
http://mpa.itc.it/radim/qgis/shell1.png

Radim