[GRASS5] re: Grass GUI

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 02:44:10 EST 2005

> The people at Grass are doing a great job and it has a real unique
> chance to get ahead of most major GIS systems think 3D all of the way
> don't stop half way. I think Nviz is doing a great job but we can do
> our work in linux which I prefer but we require a viewer on the
> windows platforms sorry but that is where our clients are.
>
> Most of our clients do no care how we get there they only want a
> pretty picture or now 3D movie of the end product. So without good
> graphics and a GUI grass will forever linger in academia well mabey
> that is what the majority of people want?

If someone wants to pay to have one written, then great. Otherwise you
will have a hard time convincing academics to write software for your
customers. As the developers are largely academics, for better or worse
the product gets tailored for their needs. It is simply a matter of
ability + motivation. You could always give Bob Covill lots of money and
see where that gets you...

I do appreciate the need though, A GRASS plugin for QGIS in windows will
help fill it (in 2D); as well as FWTools for windows with a GRASS plugin
for converting to other formats. I don't know about the state of 3D on
windows.

For Matlab support it wouldn't be too hard to extend r.out.mat to
r3.out.mat (probably 'r.out.mat -3'), but I have no plans to do so
currently. (also memory problems to address?)

Hamish