Grass GUI - mouse 100% CPU bug and alternatives to i.points [was Re: [GRASS5] Suggestions for gui discussion]

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Thu Nov 17 14:01:52 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 14:43 +0100, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> hi
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 03:23:18PM +0200, Wolf Bergenheim wrote:
> > On 11/15/2005 08:11 AM, Michael Barton wrote:
> > >
> > You asked for it. So here comes. (; Georeferencing UI is EXTREMELY bad.
> > When I run I.points I also have to open qgis with another map of the
> > same location to get the real co-ordinates
<snip>

> If I understand it well, this is already the way, i.points works(?) --
> one can open 4 frames in GRASS-monitor -- the left half is used for
> currlently source location, the right half is used for displaying maps
> from target location. it is not necessary to set the coordinates by
> hand, you can "click" them in the target map.

Right, that's the way it works, but it is far from comfortable and
efficient. It's merely usable (oh, we nowadays Grass users are so
spoiled).

I wish i.points functionality could be implemented into QGIS
georeferencer plugin... As well as other warping methods, as presently
QGIS provides only Helmert's AFAIR.

> or were you not talking about i.rectify?

BTW - that'd be great if Grass could use Gdal warping - the speed and
reliability.

> > Oh and BTW the CPU spikes
> > up to 100% and my laptop fan starts to go on overdrive everytime I run
> > i.points... Is there a busy loop somewhere in the code?

You haven't heard my laptop yet ;). But what's really bad is that this
bug hampers Grass usability in a network where one machine is a server
for several Grass sessions - imagine all the users trying to use
i.points / other mouse intensive operation in the same time. Has anybody
got an idea how to get rid of this bug?

Maciek

P.S.
Forwarding to qgis-devel to see if there is any feedback in regard to
georefencer plugin improvement.