[GRASS5] GRASS GUI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Nov 18 08:12:04 EST 2005

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> GTK: X11.  That is, on Mac OS X is requires the X11 environment.  I
> saw the beginnings of a native Mac port, but it could take a while.
> I'm not sure how it works on Windows, cygwin?  I think I saw a well
> developed native port.

The native Windows port of GTK works well. I got a substantial
GTK/OpenGL application working on Windows with very little effort
(most of the effort was porting opendir/readdir/closedir to
FindFirstFile/FindNextFile).

> As for a choice of GUI kits, I wonder if would be possible to
> abstract the GUI functions in a GRASS library, and that will use
> whichever GUI kit was built into that copy of GRASS.  It might even
> then be possible to plug binaries of the GRASS GUI library into a
> GRASS binary to switch between GUIs.  Maybe start with Qt and add
> others later.  Just a thought.

Abstracting the GUI toolkit is far too much work. This is what
wxWindows and Mozilla's XPFE do, and they're both massive projects.