[GRASS5] [bug #2789] (grass) WISH creating legends for vector feature

Maciek Sieczka via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Sun Nov 20 07:11:38 EST 2005

Wolfgang wrote:

> Yet, I did not find a possibility to create a legend for vector themes. Is
> there any possibility to create such legends (not by converting vector
> themes into raster data and then using d.legend)? Is is possilble to create
> symbols for vector themes?

Some functionality for creating legends for vectors is in d.vect.thematic.
However, I agree it is needed to abe able to display legends for vector layers
in a more convenient way. There was an attempt towards supporting vectors in
d.legend this by Jachym Cepicky some time ago,
http://les-ejk.cz/~jachym/programs/grass/d.legend.tgz. However, this is still
not fully operational. The latest news on this issue come from 01.11.2005:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/9382

Can anybody say what is the staus now?

> For future development, import-tools for legend-definitions (e.g. *avl,...)
> would be great.

It "only" requires somebody interested in developing the tool. However I'm
wondering how portable would be the pattern definitions which (I guess, I'm
not an ArcView user) are contained in avl? Anyway, importing color defintions
alone into GRASSRGB column could be possible I guess.

Some AVL examples:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/of00-358/mapping/sediment/texture.avl
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/of03-002/data/fgb_gis/caco3.avl

Maciek