[GRASS5] [bug #2789] (grass) WISH creating legends for vector feature

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Nov 21 10:55:01 EST 2005

I agree much with the need for having a way to make nice vector legends,
like we can with rasters. But thinking about it for awhile, it seems to me
that legends for vectors are somewhat different from legends for rasters in
concept--i.e., what most people will want to show with a legend. If we look
at other GIS software that deals with vectors pretty well (MapInfo, ArcView,
QGIS, and others) most of the time legends will be used with some kind of
thematic mapping.

So it might be more useful to transform d.vect.thematic into a C-module, add
the option to display unique values (i.e., one for each vector), and build
nice vector legend capabilities in that context.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA