[GRASS5] xganim and motif requirement

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 22 15:03:10 EST 2005

I use xganim a lot to check the results of simulations that produce
time series of rasters and to preview
the rasters before doing more complex animations using file sequencing
tool in nviz. As far as I know
there is no other command that would produce quick simultaneous
animations of multiple raster series
(r.out.mpeg currently doesn't come anywhere close to the convenience of
xganim, and you can do only one series).
BUT I would love to see the requirement for Motif/Lesstif go away, so
if anybody can replace xganim with
a module with the same (or better) functionality without motif that
would be great.
The module comes from times when motif was used for GRASS GUI (just
another one that is not around anymore)
and nviz had motif-based interface too.

Helena