[GRASS5] imagery sample data has duplicate case-sensitive filenames

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Nov 24 11:19:27 EST 2005

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> (Not sure if it's OK to use the bug report form for a sample data
> issue, so I'll just use the list)
>
> In the IMAGERY GRASS 5 and 6 sample data, there are files named
> 'GROUP' and folders named 'group' at the same folder level, as well
> as 'SUBGROUP' and 'subgroup'.  This does not work on a case-
> insensitive (tho case-aware) file system such as HFS+ as is used in
> Mac OS X.
>
> I believe GROUP is the old method that is now CURGROUP (changed in
> GRASS 5).  and similar for SUBGROUP.

Correct. It used to be the case that the files were called CURGROUP
and CURSUBGROUP on Cygwin (to prevent clashes with the "group"
folder), and GROUP and SUBGROUP on other systems (which would
presumably have a case-sensitive filesystem).

This was changed back in the 5.3 branch to always use CURGROUP and
CURSUBGROUP. Sample data for 5.3/5.7/6.x should be using the new
names. Sample data for 5.0.x will have to use the old names (because
those are the names which the imagery library uses), and won't work on
systems with case-folding filesystems.