[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:8545] Re: d.vect.thematic options with spaces

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 00:15:37 EDT 2005

> >> No need. Tcl has perfectly good support for lists; there's no
> >> reason to treat a command as a string.
> >>

> > Well, my remark was meant for the command line, where you have to
> > know that you have to put some of the options between quotes because
> > there are spaces between them. I just think it would make life
> > easier for everyone if we avoid option names with spaces in them...
>
> This makes sense. When I originally wrote the script, I was thinking
> of making the options understandable, and didn't really anticipate how
> much more complex and useful it would become. When I was porting it to
> a GIS Manager panel, I toyed with the idea of changing the options to
> single words but didn't at that point because it seems to have become
> very widely used and I didn't want to cause existing users a lot of
> grief.
>
> I think it would be better to rename some of these options, but I'm
> not sure of the smoothest way to transition everyone to new single
> word names. Do any of you have experience with this?

Just replace the spaces with underscores. As long as the module wasn't
included in the 6.0.x releases I don't think there is a problem fine-
tuning the development version. It's not supposed to be stable; the
possibility of bugs and change is the price you pay for getting access
to the latest & greatest. I for one agree that fixed module options
should not contain spaces.

Hamish