[GRASS5] [bug #3630] (grass) error in v.proj/r.proj in gnomonic projection

Morten Hulden morten at untamo.net
Mon Oct 24 06:20:27 EDT 2005

Paul Kelly via RT wrote:
> According to the output of the "proj -lP" command:
> gnom : Gnomonic
>         Azi, Sph.
> gnomonic projection can only be used with a spherical earth model. So you
> are going to get undefined behaviour / errors if re-projecting between an
> ellipsoid and a sphere.

I wonder if a two-step reprojection temporarily could solve this: first
projecting from a location with krassovsky ellipsoid into a lonlat
sphere location, then to gnomonic. Of course for rasters resampling
errors would be greater but keeping resolutions at similar values could
perhaps retain acceptable quality.

Morten