[GRASS5] G_done_msg(), stderr, and fileno()

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 07:13:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

G_done_msg() does some figuring on where to send the output:
        if (isatty(1))
                out = stdout;
        else if (isatty(2))
                out = stderr;

for one thing, shouldn't that use fileno(stdout) instead of "1", and
for another shouldn't it try to send to stderr first? always?

G_message(), G_warning(), and G_fatal_error() all send exclusively to
stderr, with the bell getting a isatty(fileno(stderr)) test.

I've written a script which calls a module which uses G_done_msg().
I'd like to pipe the stdout to a file, but currently the output of
G_done_msg() is polluting matters.

?,
Hamish