[GRASS5] GIS Manager update for testing

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Sep 9 04:21:27 EDT 2005

I¹ve finished a fairly major update to the GIS Manager. I¹d appreciate it if
some of you could test it before I commit it to the CVS.

It is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. But it still has a number of
new features that I hope will continue to make the many functions of GRASS
more accessible. I¹ve posted it to my website at

<http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_gismgr/>

The file is GIS_manager050909.tgz

It includes a replacement $GISBASE/etc/dm directory with all files and a new
script, d.out.file, for the $GISBASE/scripts directory.

Features of the GIS Manager update include a major display functions are now
GIS Manager layers with options panels. This makes them much easier to
manipulate AND to save in workspaces. All options panels now have integrated
help buttons. I also added a print to default printer via lpr in the file
menu.

Getting rid of the display menu led to a little rearrangement of the menu
structure. Several items have moved to file: primarily gis file management
functions (this was a suggestion a long time back). The GIS menu (which some
people didn¹t like) has changed to a configuration menu. Slope arrows in
raster cells moved to raster/terrain and histograms moved to image/reports
and stats.

The GIS Manager is somewhat more compact, with a new arrangement of
functions: monitor control down the left side, general display controls and
tools on the top toolbar and layers on bottom toolbar. I¹ve also added
color. Grey is OK for the eyes, but grey on grey is hard to see and pretty
dull. Grass is green, so the GIS Manager is green.

Let me know what works and what doesn¹t. I¹ve tested it a lot, but probably
missed something.

Enjoy!
Michael

Arizona State University