[GRASS5] [bug #3658] (grass) menu for select tables in db.columns and db.select

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Sep 20 14:29:22 EDT 2005

On Tue, September 20, 2005 20:15, Request Tracker said:
> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3658
>
> Subject: menu for select tables in db.columns and db.select
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
> grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> GRASS Version: 6.1cvs downloaded at 20050919
>
> Carlos Grohmann. GRASS 6.1 cvs downloaded at 2005/09/19
>
> From all the db.* commands, in tcltk, just db.columns and db.select doesn't
> have the option to click on the ">" on the side of the field for the table
> name  and then search for the desired table.

This is not true: the only modules that have this option, are the v.db.* modules.

> In db.columns and db.select we
> have to write down the name of the table. Why?
> If we start on giving long names to vectors, this write-downs stuff may become
> less productive.

All db.* commands allow you to use tables which are not connected to any
vector map, so you would have to have a list of all available tables in a
given database. For db.connect this actually makes no sense since the command
is aimed at connecting to new databases and tables, so in order to comply to
above wish, the module would have to have the possibility to scan all
databases in all supported formats in order to list all available tables... I
really don't think that this is the module's job.

This is different for the v.db.* modules as they target vector maps and their
connected tables, not isolated tables.

Moritz