[GRASS5] [bug #3673] (grass) location setup: sterea yields

Maciek Sieczka via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Sat Sep 24 07:00:16 EDT 2005

Paul wrote:

> Has it been recently added to PROJ (i.e. the last 5 years ;) )

Yes, few months ago.

> If you know the parameters there is no problem to manually set it up by
> editing the PROJ_INFO

That's the way I'm doing it. (And I don't mean this entry as a support
request. It is a bug report.)

> or even put it in with g.proj using EPSG codes or
> WKT files etc.

FYI - GDAL doesn't have any EPSG codes for sterea.

> I asked the author of PROJ about this once but on a point of principle he
> doesn't want to produce such a definitive specification and prefers that
> people read the PROJ documentation and understand the parameters they are
> using

Kind of right. Still it is a bug(gy) in Grass and should be fixed, that's what
a simple Grass user says, ugh.

> rather than answer a series of questions like g.setproj attempts to
> do.

So, in it's current form g.setproj is buggy as it doesn't behave the way it is
supposed to when sterea is involved. No matter how tiny this bug is. I'll
leave this report open if you don't mind so we are aware that a problem exists.

Maciek