[GRASS5] gis.m (2006.03.24): kudos and bugs

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Mon Apr 3 13:31:00 EDT 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 02:03:29 -0700
Cedric Shock <cedricgrass at shockfamily.net> wrote:

> Maciek Sieczka,
>
> Thanks for your input and suggestions.
>
> > 2.
> > Command's GUI menus are too big. Try e.g. v.extract& - the window
> > will cover almost whole the screen.
>
> The text in v.extract's description is really too long for one line.
> I'll make this part wrap instead of making the window grow.

Great!

> > Related - could lines for inputting
> > attributes be adjusted to window size, and not the other way round?
>
> Adjusting initial window size to fit the minimum size of the widgets
> is really nice. I guess it'd be nice if these would grow/shrink with
> the window too.

Absolutely.

> It's hard to avoid feedback in systems like this.
> It'd require doing just about everything by hand instead of using
> tk's wonderful packer. Does anyone else have input or suggestions on
> how this should be?

> > When resizing GUIs, buttons in the bottom will become invisible.
> > Could they be preserved, like those in the bottom of "Select Item"
> > window?
>
> The old design and interface pretty much forces us to pack widgets
> top to bottom making the buttons the first to go instead of the last.
> Usually I'd pack something like this first against the bottom edge.
> I'll try to find some trick to make this shrink differently.

That'd be excellent I think.

> > GUI's are now fully mouse wheel scrollable, neat, but "Select Item"
> > windows, the area where layers are listed in d.m and gis.m and
> > layer attributes area still aren't. Could they?
>
> Yes for "Select Item" windows. I don't understand what you mean by
> "layer attributes area"; can you give an example?

I mean the area, where we control the display properties of the
currently selected layer. The red crossed area on the attached
screendump. So, could it also be scrolled with mouse scroll?

> > Cosmetics: the bottom of some GUIs are greyish, while the remaining
> > part of window is greenish.
> >

> I can't set the background colors for windows in a nice way. I'll
> throw a frame behind the buttons to fill in with a consistent color.

> > 3.
> > Longstanding: there are commands which need to have the attributes
> > order customizable  (e.g. v.type). Will Grass GUI support this
> > someday?
> >
> > https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2969
>
> Nope, not from me at least. I've been dreaming of a little program
> that takes a series of run commands and wraps them up into a shell
> script with a UI definition that would be a superset of this ability,
> but it's likely to stay as just a dream.

No worries. You are doing an absolutely great job anyway.

Maciek

"JUGOMA" Biuro Rachunkowo - Doradcze obs?uguje firmy krajowe i zagraniczne w pe?nmym zakresie: doradztwo,ksi?gowo??,organizacja firmy,
pos?ugujemy si? angielskim, niemieckim. Zapraszamy na stron?! http://www.jugoma.friko.pl/