[GRASS5] Problems compiling and running GRASS6.CVS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Apr 4 23:54:35 EDT 2006

Michael Rensing wrote:

> >> Hi all, in order to try the latest GUI (among other new features), I've
> >> compiled and run the current CVS version. On the first run through of
> >> make, there were a lot of errors regarding failed compiles which seemed
> >> to be related to path errors. After make install, the source code would
> >> not start, and crashed with errors.
> >>
> >> I ran make another couple of times, and on try 2.5 (ctrl-c in the middle
> >> of try 2) I got a clean compile. make install now gives a running
> >> executable.
> >>
> >> Should I report this as a bug, or is it too soon in the development
> >> cycle to worry about this behaviour?
> >
> > Can you provide specific details?
>
> I'd have to wipe the directory and reload from CVS,

"make distclean" should remove everything which was generated by the
build process, leaving only the files which are in the CVS repository.

> but I'm just getting
> started, so I don't mind doing it a couple of times. However, the output
> just scrolls by on the screen so I'd have to capture it somehow and then
> send you the file.
>
> Do you want me to do that, or try something else?

If there are any build errors, it would be useful to see the relevant
portion of the output from "make", not the entire file.

Typically, the relevant portion is just the command which fails.

If a library fails to build, anything which depends on it will also
fail; in that case, we only need to see the errors for the library.

In general, I would suggest running "make" as:

	make CFLAGS_WARNING= &>build.log

so that you have a record if anything goes wrong.

[The current default setting of CFLAGS_WARNING enables too many
warnings, resulting in significant warnings getting lost in the noise.
I'll change that.]