[GRASS5] [bug #4250] (grass) v.out.ogr: CHAR columns are trimmed to 80 chars when writing shp

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Apr 7 10:33:16 EDT 2006

This is almost exactly the problem I had with ogr a while back (isn't
fixed in 1.3.1 so I've patched my copy, maybe fixed in CVS).  This
problem is for mysql and postgres tables - OGR doesn't translate
varchar field types.  In the case when OGR can't figure out the field
type, it defaults to a char type of length _80_.

I looked in the grass ogr driver source, and there's the same
problem.  The grass driver doesn't set *any* field lengths at all, so
it defaults to 80.

ogrgrasslayer.cpp, lines 148-161.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.