[GRASS5] gis.m as default GUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Apr 25 11:41:11 EDT 2006

I've successfully tried starting GRASS without OSX using Lorenzo Moretti's
binaries. This uses TclTk aqua and the Mac terminal. It works fine.
Obviously, it's missing those pieces that still require x11. I don't think
these will be replaced before the rapidly approaching version 6.2 release.
But I (and hopefully others??) will be working on them.

For TclTk, I think replacing d.profile will be pretty straightforward. I'm
have some ideas at least about how do to i.points and r.digit.

v.digit will take someone that can understand the vector architecture and do
some C programming too.

It seems to me that nviz doesn't really need x11, but this is an opinion
that is pretty ignorant of how it works internally (I've looked at the TclTk
part but don't understand how it interacts with the C part or X11 part).

There may be a few more commands that need x11, but not many and the number
is shrinking.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213