[GRASS5] Proposal: RFC 1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 04:19:14 EDT 2006

On 4/28/06, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Markus,
>
> you may want to add some clarification when a proposal is needed to
> make a change
> (it is partially implied by a section about when vote is needed, but
> maybe that should be defined somewhere
> at the beginning of the detailed process description - or you can
> just say "When is the proposal and vote required").
> How the proposal should look like?
> Is a short email to developers list, as we have now enough - I hope
> it is.
>
> Regarding Radim's comments - let us try to follow the suggestions
> from Markus and Frank modeled
> after other projects to see whether it works for us, we can always
> change it / modify later

I tried to explain that a result of the procedure proposed by Markus and Frank
can depend on question formulation and obviously such procedure
is not democratic.
I am strongly in favour of democratic procedures used in GRASS
decision making.
The argument that other projects prefer less democratic procedures
is not valid for me.

The attitude 'to see whether it works for us' is wrong in my opinion
because certainly it will work, it simply cannot fail, but the results
can be deformed and some people can be discouraged.
Less democratic procedures always work better but overall
results are worse.

Radim