[GRASS5] Proposal: RFC 1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 05:15:56 EDT 2006

On 4/28/06, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
> >>Regarding Radim's comments - let us try to follow the suggestions
> >>from Markus and Frank modeled
> >>after other projects to see whether it works for us, we can always
> >>change it / modify later
> >>

> >I tried to explain that a result of the procedure proposed by Markus and Frank
> >can depend on question formulation and obviously such procedure
> >is not democratic.
> >I am strongly in favour of democratic procedures used in GRASS
> >decision making.
> >The argument that other projects prefer less democratic procedures
> >is not valid for me.
> >
> >The attitude 'to see whether it works for us' is wrong in my opinion
> >because certainly it will work, it simply cannot fail, but the results
> >can be deformed and some people can be discouraged.
> >Less democratic procedures always work better but overall
> >results are worse.
> >

> Radim,
>
> mhh, I don't remember that I suggested to implement non-democratic
> structures (didn't I post a *proposal*?).

The proposed voting system in my oppinion is not kosher and
I pointed it out. I am talking about the procedure, that is not about
your person. Sorry if I was not clear enough before.

> Remember, that also in a democracy rules are established
> and to be followed.

Of course, we are defining the rules and I just wrote my comments.
I dont say that we should not respect the rules once defined.

> Of course it is a process to reach consensus, hopefully we can avoid
> flame wars.

Sorry again if you have got impression of flame, i am only talking
about the proposed system and I wrote my arguments.
I am absolutely sure that you would never do any autocratic steps
in GRASS project even if it was desirable and I can assure
others about that.

> The *idea* of having a steering committee is to have an accepted body to
> take strategic decisions. Certainly this body needs to be established and
> controled by the community.

I support the idea of PSC but with previously expressed objection that
the decisions should be taken by all contributors and PSC should
only manage the decision process.

Radim