[GRASS5] Re: PSC: Voting & Chair

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Fri Apr 28 22:56:49 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 11:15 +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:

> > >I tried to explain that a result of the procedure proposed by Markus and Frank
> > >can depend on question formulation and obviously such procedure
> > >is not democratic.
> > >I am strongly in favour of democratic procedures used in GRASS
> > >decision making.
> > >The argument that other projects prefer less democratic procedures
> > >is not valid for me.
> > >
> > >The attitude 'to see whether it works for us' is wrong in my opinion
> > >because certainly it will work, it simply cannot fail, but the results
> > >can be deformed and some people can be discouraged.
> > >Less democratic procedures always work better but overall
> > >results are worse.
> > >

> > Radim,
> >
> > mhh, I don't remember that I suggested to implement non-democratic
> > structures (didn't I post a *proposal*?).
>
> The proposed voting system in my opinion is not kosher and
> I pointed it out. I am talking about the procedure, that is not about
> your person. Sorry if I was not clear enough before.

Deveopers/users,

Are we getting ahead of ourselves?  Can we first define who will be on
the PSC and the roles/sub-projects to get an idea of the size and scope
of the PSC?  After that, I think it would be easier to resolve the
voting discrepancies.

Have enough people been nominated?  Is there anything that warrants
discussion before this happens?  I'm not trying to discount anything,
but I believe it would be beneficial to form the "organization" of the
PSC.  Not that they would become immediately active, but have a more
accessible representation of the PSC.

And would it be possible to change the subject headers to reflect the
topic of discussion (eg. PSC: Voting)?  It sure would make navigating
the various topics much easier...at least for me.

> > The *idea* of having a steering committee is to have an accepted body to
> > take strategic decisions. Certainly this body needs to be established and
> > controlled by the community.
>
> I support the idea of PSC but with previously expressed objection that
> the decisions should be taken by all contributors and PSC should
> only manage the decision process.

I agree that all contributors should have a vote on the PSC documents
and any changes to the "bylaws"...whether those people are *all*
contributors or only committers is unknown.

It was also mentioned in an earlier email that Markus is the obvious
choice for the PSC chair.  Agreed.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                      KB8UYR
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785