[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS bugs

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 2 12:29:16 EDT 2006

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > But generally: why wait for a bugfix party? Just go ahead...
>
> I don't think it is about waiting, it is about creating a special,
> motivating event where everyone works together on one goal.

The one thing which would do the most to motivate me to fix bugs would
be a list of clearly-identified, verified, reproducible bugs.

Back when I used to check the RT occasionally, I would generally skip
any report where I couldn't quickly reproduce the problem from the
information contained in the report.

As this tends to be the case for the vast majority of reports, I
eventually gave up checking the RT altogether (other than to kill
requests generated by spam email to the grass-bugs address).

If people want a bug to get fixed, by far the most important factor is
providing a clear mechanism to demonstrate the bug, either using the
spearfish dataset or starting from a new location (i.e. using
self-generated test data).