[GRASS-dev] A few ideas about development tools...

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Aug 4 04:42:10 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 01:13:22PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> Markus asked me to report the list about some ideas I have...
>
> Well, a CVS repo could be easily converted to a SVN one by cvs2svn, subversion
> is currently the mainstream for a cetralized SCM. Honestly, CVS has
> a series of defects for management, maybe it's time to use a more
> advanced tool, without loosing past history.

Yes, I agree. I have recently migrated my own CVS (was running
for several years and quite fat) to SVN with cvs2svn. No big deal.

SVN would finally offer the possibility to create a GRASS Addon
repository with granular access rights.

> It is also well integrated
> with Trac which is a very nice bug tracker in respect with WebRT. That
> could be a major pain for migration, anyway.

RT is pretty limited. We observe that developers don't like/use it.
This is obviously bad. In particular, the lack of patch support
(which is nice in trac) is a major pain.

> Ideas?

The OSGeo foundation considers to offer SVN/trac etc support for
foundation projects. This could be interesting since moving bugs
among projects will (hopefully) be possible. Example: if an apparent
GRASS bug turns out to be a GDAL bug, we just move it there. No need
to write everything again. Also code leverage will be simplified
(no need to reinvent the wheel for many GIS tasks given the same
programming language is used).

> PS: did the Google Summer of Code be considered for sponsored students
> efforts about grass activities? I think grass is eligible as mentor for
> that... The new year is not so far, indeed :)

Good point!

Markus