[GRASS-dev] A few ideas about development tools...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 4 09:08:19 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> The OSGeo foundation considers to offer SVN/trac etc support for
> foundation projects. This could be interesting since moving bugs
> among projects will (hopefully) be possible. Example: if an apparent
> GRASS bug turns out to be a GDAL bug, we just move it there. No need
> to write everything again. Also code leverage will be simplified
> (no need to reinvent the wheel for many GIS tasks given the same
> programming language is used).

Markus / GRASS developers,

I think the general intention was to maintain a distinct bug database
instance for each project, which would mean we can't easily reassign
bugs between project within a single database.

I will say, I found it quite helpful having various projects
(ie. gdal, libtiff, libgeotiff, proj.4) all in the same bug database
at remotesensing.org for exactly the reason you indicate.  I just
don't think we will get that benefit on OSGeo unless we make a
particular effort to do so.

Best regards,