[GRASS-dev] A few ideas about development tools...

Patricio Antonio Toledo Peña patricioantoniotoledo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 17:04:05 EDT 2006

GRASS  developers should consider also the use
of GIT, the content tracker currently in use
by the Linux kernel community. Currently the
Xorg source code is managed with git also.

Indeed i am tracking the CVS repository with
GIT in my laptop, and there is no pain at all.

Take a look at:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/cogito/README

And the CVS migration
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/cvs-migration.html

Of course is packaged in debian
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/git-core

Best Regards

2006/8/4, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it>:

> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 01:13:22PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> > Markus asked me to report the list about some ideas I have...
> >
> > Well, a CVS repo could be easily converted to a SVN one by cvs2svn,
> subversion
> > is currently the mainstream for a cetralized SCM. Honestly, CVS has
> > a series of defects for management, maybe it's time to use a more
> > advanced tool, without loosing past history.
>
> Yes, I agree. I have recently migrated my own CVS (was running
> for several years and quite fat) to SVN with cvs2svn. No big deal.
>
> SVN would finally offer the possibility to create a GRASS Addon
> repository with granular access rights.
>
> > It is also well integrated
> > with Trac which is a very nice bug tracker in respect with WebRT. That
> > could be a major pain for migration, anyway.
>
> RT is pretty limited. We observe that developers don't like/use it.
> This is obviously bad. In particular, the lack of patch support
> (which is nice in trac) is a major pain.
>
> > Ideas?
>
> The OSGeo foundation considers to offer SVN/trac etc support for
> foundation projects. This could be interesting since moving bugs
> among projects will (hopefully) be possible. Example: if an apparent
> GRASS bug turns out to be a GDAL bug, we just move it there. No need
> to write everything again. Also code leverage will be simplified
> (no need to reinvent the wheel for many GIS tasks given the same
> programming language is used).
>
> > PS: did the Google Summer of Code be considered for sponsored students
> > efforts about grass activities? I think grass is eligible as mentor for
> > that... The new year is not so far, indeed :)
>
> Good point!
>
> Markus

Patricio Toledo Peña
Dpto. de Geofísica - Universidad de Chile
Blanco Encalada 2002-Casilla 2777
Santiago-Chile