[GRASS-dev] Bugs vs. wishes

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Fri Aug 4 09:48:35 EDT 2006

Hi guys,

One thing that I've noticed a lot in the brief time I've been pouring
through old bugs is how often a wish is submitted as a bug. Ideas for
improvments, complaints about 'this could be better' or 'it should work this
way instead' get submitted as bugs when they are /not/ bugs. If software
doesn't work the way you think it should, this is not a bug. It is a wish. I
find that a lot on the BT.

I wonder if there is a way to put some kind of message in bold letters on
the BT advising the user to clearly discriminate between what they want the
software to do (a wish) vs. what it is supposed to do based on the Grass
documentation (a bug). A /lot/ of "bugs" could be prevented this way. It's
fine to have a wish list a mile long, but the more we can prevent false bugs
from being posted, the faster we can get a true bug short list created for
the devs.

I don't know if there is anything that can really be done about it, I'm just
grumbling. (I'll submit a wish for this).

~ Eric.