[GRASS-dev] GRASS & cygwin quite slow

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Aug 8 16:42:14 EDT 2006

Wolfgang wrote:

> could anybody put somewhere a detailed description how to compile grass
> on Cygwin (which packages, compilers, ...)? Not that I also would have
> problems with speed, but I would like use some features which are not
> (yet) in the prebuilt cygwin grass.

Building on Cygwin isn't significantly different from building on a
Unix system, except that you will probably need to build more of the
dependent libraries yourself.

In particular, note that Cygwin's Tcl/Tk isn't suitable for GRASS; you
need to download the Tcl/Tk source and compile it yourself.

Also, the latest Cygwin appears to have a problem with DLLs, so use
--disable-shared.